If you are in the market for an older Dyson pet upright vacuum, then you need to try the Dyson DC50. The full name of this vacuum is the Dyson DC50 Animal Compact Upright. That name should tell you everything you need to know about the product. It is a smaller, compact upright vacuum that Dyson has designed to be able to clean up pet messes big or small. The DC50 was the ancestor of the current Dyson Small Ball, which we will discuss in another product review.
If you want to learn all about the Dyson DC50 Animal Compact and why it may be the right vacuum for you, read on. This article will examined everything—the good and the bad—you need to know about this classic upright vacuum cleaner.
What is the Dyson DC50?
As mentioned above, the Dyson DC50 is a pet upright vacuum cleaner. Today, the product goes by the name Dyson Ball Compact Animal Upright. Although Dyson changed the name, nothing else has been altered between the DC50 and the Ball. Even the accessory options remain the same. So, don’t be confused if you find this product with either the name DC50 or Dyson Ball Compact.
Also, the Dyson DC50 (or Ball Compact) is one of Dyson’s first forays into the world of compact upright vacuums. They manufactured this product to be portable, lightweight, and efficient. The vacuum only weighs 11.6 lbs. and it has a twenty-five-foot cord length. Although the weight and electrical cord length may not be as impressive now—with so many lightweight and long-reaching products on the market—it was a gamechanger. That is why the Dyson DC50 is one of the most famous pet upright vacuums of the last twenty years.
PROS & CONS
There are a lot of pros that still set the Dyson DC50 apart from its competition. However, the DC50 does come with a few cons as well. You need to consider both before you make the decision to buy this product or not.
- For an upright vacuum, the Dyson DC50 is quite light. It only weighs 11.6 lbs., which makes it very portable and easy for anyone to use.
- Dyson provides a five years warranty, which is quite long for a vacuum cleaner. This warranty covers parts and labor. Plus, Dyson’s website includes an entire page dedicated to problem-solving potential issues with your DC50.
- The 128 air watts of suction in the DC50 means that it is powerful enough to clean up any mess in your home.
- Dyson includes helpful accessories with your purchase. These include the tangle-free turbine tool, combination tool, and stair tool. The tangle-free turbine tool is especially good for cleaning pet messes because hair does not get tangled in it easily.
- The patented Dyson ball technology makes the DC50 easy to steer and versatile.
- Even though the Dyson DC50 is a slightly older model, it will still cost you quite a lot. If you are in the market for an affordable, and inexpensive upright vacuum, then the DC50 will not be for you.
- Because Dyson changed the name of the DC50 to the Ball Compact, shopping for this product can get a little confusing. Obviously, the two upright vacuums are exactly the same. But, the name change makes it seem like they may be slightly different, which can be confusing for some potential customers.
- You can purchase the DC50 from third-party sellers, like Amazon. However, this product is no longer for sale from Dyson’s website.
What types of flooring does the Dyson DC50 clean?
It does not matter whether you need to clean pet hair from your carpet, stairs, or hard floors, the Dyson DC50 cleans them all. You will want to be careful about using the DC50 on a soft or high pile carpet. The upright vacuum is very high powered. So, even though you can turn the brush roll off, you still may do damage to sensitive carpets.
So, using the DC50 to clean your shag rug is out. However, hardwood, linoleum, tile, low and medium-pile carpet are all fair game to the Dyson DC50. The control to turn off the brush roll is easy and convenient to use. Therefore, you can go from cleaning carpet to hard floors with the push of a button, and no need to turn off the vacuum.
Who would benefit from the Dyson DC50?
If you are a pet owner who needs a high-powered yet lightweight and versatile upright vacuum, then you should consider the Dyson DC50. You should also be a person that is not put-off by paying a high price for a vacuum. Anyone who wants a high-quality product that will last decades comes with a great warranty, and will never quit picking up their pet hair messes should try the Dyson DC50 today.
Obviously, the Dyson DC50 (currently the Ball Compact) upright vacuum is a classic for a reason. Even though it is no longer available from Dyson directly, you can find it for sale from many third-party sellers. And, purchasing it from an authorized third-party seller means that the five-year warranty will still be honored by the manufacturer.
If you don’t mind spending money for a Dyson, and want a lightweight yet powerful small upright vacuum, then the Dyson DC50 may be the one for you. Pet owners should take special notice, as the high powered nature of the DC50 and the included accessories ensures that your house will remain clean of pet hair. Don’t feel like you have to live in your pet’s messes. Try the Dyson DC50 Animal Compact Vacuum today and experience a life free of pet hair and messy houses. You will be happy that you gave it a chance.
Jennifer is a work-from-home freelance writer, editor, and dog mom. So, like Angela, she understands how important it is to keep her floors clean. Jennifer currently lives in a home with carpet and tile floors. Therefore, she is an expert in cleaning those specific types of floors.
When you don’t find Jennifer at her computer writing and editing, you will see her with a vacuum in hand. She greatly appreciates the chance to provide content for this website with Angela and looks enjoys spreading her floor cleaning knowledge with the world.